A fairly recent survey from Citigroup exclaimed that nowadays nearly 80 percent of college students take at least a part-time job during the school year. With 12 hours spent daily on homework, 4 hours spent in the dining hall, 3 hours watching Netflix, and 2 hours explaining to Mom and Dad that everyone failed that test and/or paper, it seems that college students do not have the time to sleep let alone take on a job. However, the freedom to explore different entry-level jobs, the ability to learn better time management skills, and the potential to offset tuition are all reasons as to why working a college job is a helpful and meaningful experience. For those of you looking for a student job that actually pays, looks no further as we have a list of several positions with solid wages and skills that can definitely translate into the workforce.
* All average salaries are according to fairygodboss.com and glassdoor.com
Need some extra cash to get it done? Vola has you covered!
Dining Hall Worker
Average Pay: $10/ hour
Short Description: Handles serving and maintaining cleanliness within a dining hall.
- Strong interpersonal skills when dealing with students
- Hard worker
- Know how to move around in a large kitchen
Average pay: some do not pay, however other positions can be lucrative earning $12/ hour
Description: Everyone has had a great TA; everyone has had an awful TA. Be the latter! Being able to help others succeed in a class is both rewarding and financially benefiting.
- Highly knowledgeable in the course being taught
- Excellent communication skills
- Organization when assisting the professor
Average Pay: $11.54/ hour
Short Description: Accurately and efficiently processes routine transactions for bank customers including cashing checks, accepting deposits and withdrawals, processing loan payments and money transfers. Advertises the bank’s products and services.
- Attention to detail
- Quick basic math
- Level-headed when dealing with customers
Average pay: $13.40/ hour
Short Description: Pet sitters provide daily care for animals while the pets’ owners are on vacation; allows the pet to feel comfortable even while their owner is away.
- Animals are unpredictable, so handling conflict on the fly
- Able to market oneself in a different way than other pet sitters
Average Pay: $15.05/ Hour
Short Description: Essentially, administrative assistants assist in the daily running of a business. He or she usually works alongside a boss or any person with clerical or administrative responsibilities.
- A general understanding of how a business runs
- Ability to take detailed minutes
- Strong interpersonal skills when dealing with an employer and fellow employees
- Organized, organized, organized
Average Pay: $15.11/ hour
Description: Probably the easiest job that can fit into your schedule. It requires writing, obviously, and being able to multitask different activities such as listening and taking diligent notes. Some universities even have a scribe program where you can get paid through the university.
- Keen note taking
- Ability to stay focused for periods of time
- Organizing class schedules around potential scribing opportunities
Average pay: varies dramatically, but $18/ hour
Short Description: Assists students in improving academic ability by meeting with them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Often look over problems given by the teacher, but can be called upon to create his or her own problems.
- Willingness to continue learning
- Diligence in preparation
- Comforting and encouraging
Average Pay: $21.90/hour
Short description: A resume writer writes resumes for a client. Given the short period of time that employers have to look over a resume, there is a sense of urgency to present a candidate in the best light; this falls on the resume writer.
- Good editorial skills
- Strong analytical skills to understand the job description
- Eye for detail
- Ability to handle responsibilities in a timely manner
Average pay: $ 0-200+/ hour
Description: If you have an idea, do not wait for any of these jobs to earn you money and help garner workforce skills. The beauty of being a college student is that at any time a brilliant idea can change both the inventors and the public people’s life.